DRM Just Got Easier
For a media company’s content to reach as many viewers as possible, it needs to be able to playback on all the most popular devices. This entails the use of Digital Rights Management (DRM) to secure and protect content before it is sent out for delivery via a Content Distribution Network (CDN). For many media companies, setting up DRM workflows is a manual process that takes a lot of time and might entail:
- Working with Google to get certified to use Widevine+DASH for Google Devices
- Working with Apple to get certified to use HLS+Fairplay for Apple devices
- Working with Microsoft to get certified to use ISM+PlayReady for set-top boxes and browsers
- Setting up individual encoding and publish profiles for each popular device format in the video content management system (VCMS)
- Spending a lot of time trouble-shooting what caused a delivery error since players do not provide useful feedback
With mpx Easy DRM, setting up complicated DRM workflows requires little effort. Easy DRM is a pre-configured workflow based on thePlatform’s recommendation of the most important file formats to use for multi-device, multi-platform content delivery. Using the recommended formats, Easy DRM (1) takes a mezzanine file at ingest; (2) encodes it into the recommended formats; (3) adds protection via mpx Accelerate, and (4) sends the protected, formatted video files to the CDN for delivery.
Unlike multiple, manually created DRM workflows, Easy DRM is reliable and proven. And, once Easy DRM is activated in a mpx account, a media company can easily deliver content to thousands of screens securely and reliably. Read our blog post called “Supporting a Multi-DRM Strategy” to learn more about mpx’s DRM capabilities.